Dear Parish Family,
I have mentioned over the last two years that space is a major concern for this growing parish. In 1977, we were established with a few hundred families, now we have over 1,800 families. We all have experienced the “crunch”. Hopefully you understand this is an undertaking I had never imagined but the growth of the parish these last few years leaves us little choice. Each week we welcome new parishioners into our family parish-we are the People of God and for that blessing we must be grateful. However, it should come as no surprise that this type of growth brings a new opportunity to our parish. This growth has caused the Lenten Fish Fries to become over crowded, many of our events have to be capped off at 250 due to fire code and when we have a rummage sale, other activities are compromised, delayed or cancelled because of the lack of space.
We are now at a place where we are all out of room and something needs to be done, even though this is something I never dreamed of. We don't want to compromise our events and other activities that make the St. Colette the wonderful, vibrant and friendly parish that it is. With this in mind, we have put together a parish leadership team who has been speaking with the diocese, formalizing their input and guidance regarding all of the physical and financial implications. The team is made up of Ed and JoAnn Pfahl, parishioners; Jeanette Webster, CPA; Bill Gorey, Building Manager; and Todd Schrader, Attorney.
I have been praying and asking for guidance, even though it is not comfortable for me, I feel that I have both a spiritual obligation, as well as a personal obligation to each and every one of you. That obligation is to make St. Colette a parish that answers both the spiritual needs of all of you as well as the physical need. There is something very special about St. Colette!
I thank you for your understanding and patience. This is a look to the future and perhaps the kids will benefit from this more than anyone but they too are CHURCH and they are not only the future but they are also PRESENT and present among us!
God bless you for your consideration. May St. Colette intercede for us and bring this project to fulfillment.
Project Endeavor Update as of July 9, 2018
Pledges: 449 | Pledge Dollar Amount: $1,129,552.00
To provide a faith grounded comprehensive Saint Colette Church for all parishioners where you can:
- Worship and spiritually grow in faith
- Participate actively in ministries that will assist you to grow in faith
- Chose to have your children participate in faith and social activities that provides a base for Catholic education and Catholic growth in their lives
- Attend events that will enhance a community environment
To complete the building of a facility to support Saint Colette’s vision by providing a facility that will:
- Support the growth of our parish families
- Provide and allow for the proper environment to conduct Catholic education of our children and the spiritual education of our adults
- Accommodate the means to conduct parish, social and community affairs that will enhance our parish families’ overall participation and dedication to our Catholic faith
For the above reasons, we are embarking on a capital campaign to build and attach a new Parish Center to our Church. We are attempting to accomplish this without adding debt to the Parish. The key physical benefits are:
- Seating for 400 and flexibility for Parish events.
- Storage is increased. (a major problem currently)
- Move kitchen to new facility for accessibility
- Handicap accessibility bathrooms and family bathroom
- New entrance for offices, gift shop Parish Center
- Move current bathrooms located in the Cry Room to another area opening space for additional Cry Room seating.
- If enough funding is achieved, the addition of PSCF Classrooms.
- All required sprinklers, electric, gas, water and sewer lines according to Code.
- 25-30 additional parking spaces can be expected.
- Parish Center can be used as a small gymnasium for Parish only related basketball or volleyball for our youth.
Board analysis based on initial survey of parish
- That somewhere between 600 – 800 (700 average) Pledges would be received. The amount of Pledges is an unknown factor.
- The Church has $1.7 million in the Capital Improvement Fund to put towards the building cost
- Using a conservative microscope, and with the specific intention of avoiding getting the Parish deeply in debt, Option 2 was selected at $3.5 million.
- However, if more Pledges and Higher Dollars are received, then Option 3 with PSCF Classrooms will be placed back on the table for consideration
- $3.5 million less the $1.7 million of Capital Improvement dollars leaves $1.8 million to be raised
- Because of everyone’s circumstances, not everyone will or can give the same amount.
- The Board determined that Pledges would range between $2000, $3,000, $3,500, $5,000 and $7,500. A small percentage would come in at $3000 and less and a small percentage will come in at $7,500 and above. The majority would fall in the middle and so the amount of $3,500 was determined to be the asking contribution to be paid over three years (36 months) beginning in July 2018.
- Upfront Dollars - Because Project Endeavor has to be sanctioned by the Dioceses with their requirements, one of which is that 75% of monies required be in the bank before construction can start, the need for UPFRONT dollars is critical. We are asking that those that can, please consider paying a larger portion of your contribution between July and December 31, 2018. This will allow us to attempt to start construction sometime next year. It will also help in keeping costs down as every year construction cost raise by an average of 3-5 %. The sooner we can begin construction, the likelihood we can avoid cost increases.
Option 1 - Approximately $2.5 million-Board has dismissed
Smallest building with no PSCF classrooms and not attached to the Church
Option 2 - Approximately $3.5 million
Medium building attached to Church but with no PSCF classrooms
Option 3 – Approximately $4.5 million
- Largest Building with PSCF classrooms and attached to the Church
How Can You Help
We understand that our parish family is comprised of individuals with a wide range of financial capability. We also believe that every member of our parish is important to our success and, therefore, each is asked to consider making a campaign pledge to the best of their financial ability. Please remember that: Not everyone can make the same gift. But, EVERYONE can make the same SACRIFICE!
We Need Your Pledge
We need your pledge of financial support to ensure the success of Project Endeavor.
Reaching our goal requires gifts of sacrifice rather than convenience and no one can give as much in one lump sum as could be given over a period of 36 months - except in unusual circumstances. Therefore, for the success of our campaign, we are asking all parishioners to considering pledging $3,500 over $36 months, knowing full well that individual circumstances will prevail. We are just asking everyone to give to the best of their financial ability. This is the only way we can raise the required capital sum. With God’s help and your generosity, we will succeed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What is the overall objective of our campaign?
Project Endeavor is seeking to raise $1.8 million dollars to cover the costs associated with building Option 2. If more dollars are received, the Board will look at the feasibility of Option 3
Q: What is the estimated time frame for completion?
We would like to begin construction on the multi-purpose parish center in 2019 if enough upfront dollars can be received by December 31, 2018.
Q: How can I help? Can I pledge over time?
Our campaign offers a wide range of opportunities allowing parishioners to participate at many levels. You may choose a plan that provides you with both the flexibility and time to complete the payment of your pledge. After carefully reading the campaign pledge card, make a pledge to the best of your financial ability payable over 36 months.
Q: Do I need to make a down payment?
The important step is to make the pledge because Project Endeavor has to be sanctioned by the Dioceses with their requirements, one of which is that 75% of monies required be in the bank before construction can start, the need for UPFRONT dollars is critical. We are asking that those that can, please consider paying a larger portion of your contribution between July and December 31, 2018. This will allow us to attempt to start construction sometime next year. It will also help in keeping costs down as every year construction cost raise by an average of 3-5 %. The sooner we can begin construction, the likelihood we can avoid cost increases.
Q: Will there be a minimum pledge?
No. We are asking for equal sacrifice, not equal giving. All pledges are important, needed and appreciated.
Q: Are the pledges above and beyond my regular offertory?
Yes. We ask that you maintain your regular Sunday offering because the parish will continue to have normal operating expenses.